Monday, July 30, 2012

The Dilema

To be born in Mexico and grow up in the US was my destiny.
Not an easy way to grow up

learning Spanish and English at the same time.

I had to learn American history and Mexico history.

Had to learn to translate for my mother and had to teach my brother.

I ate tacos and pizza
I had popsicles and paletas

I had people say I looked too Mexican
Others said I was not mexican enough.

I danced Banda and learned how to dance to hip hop

Luis Miguel an Michael Jackson
Shakira and Brittany spears
Menudo and Backstreet boys

Never dated Mexican boys and was judged for that
Dating American boys became my type.

My brothers said I was white washed, but if trying to have a better life means that then perhaps they are right.

Let me just say that these things aren't what define me. I am not from there or from here. Not from Mexico and not from the US. I am Karla.

The daughter of Emilio and Fabiola
Sister of Emilio, Emilio, Jonathan, Oscar, Daniel, and Gloria.
I'm strong, loving caring and honest.

I'm not from the north or the south I'm a combination of colors, cultures, music, style, languages, inspiration, ambition, and most of all I am ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment