Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Blue

As I remember it reason

The day we walked away I don’t recall crying. I don’t know what my brother was doing at the moment or exactly when we walked out but I do remember colors, me and my father. Maybe it’s a vision that I made up or maybe it really is a memory. All I know is that my room was pink a very pretty pink. I remember it was my father’s birthday. He was sitting there on the windowsill drinking what I now know as a forty or a big beer. It was dark and she took my hand. Between then and the moment I looked around, and realized I was at a bus station with my grandmother; I had been lost in the dark.  I tried and tried to remember, I really did but had no luck. From that moment on, I paid attention to everything around me. The busses lined up outside, my grandmother upset at my brother, my brothers dried tears on his little face; but the one thing that kept me safe was the blue purse I had over my shoulder. The blue purse kept me safe and it made me forget that I was no longer going to see my father. It felt like every time I opened it, it would talk to me.  I know it was loud in the station but I could hear the zipper and the ridges when I would run the zipper back and forth. It made me numb to the pain. That blue purse that crossed the border with me was my only friend, my safety and my protection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment